Sunday, March 21, 2010

moving light wonderland/translucent paradise!

today i got to program a GrandMA with a rig of 24 heads from Martin, VariLite and Comar. 4Wall came up to do their demo and it was amazing. Those ACLs and 3ks are BRIGHT! And, there is NOTHING like seeing 24 moving lights moving through haze. We were divided into groups and each group had to program a song that Mark selected from his iPod. It was really challenging....especially since this was our first exposure to the GrandMa.

It was really cool to see all the lights side by side (and in the case of Martin and VariLite, a good deal of their respective lines) in order to see what this one does that effect better or how this color mixer is different, etc. I really enjoyed seeing how the different instruments shaped the beam and the different color temperatures in openwhite. And, since the demo was very thorough, I feel like I have a much better idea of what mover is good for what task. All in all, a very fun and instructive weekend. Plus, 24 moving heads in 210: that's just ridiculous :)

the other half of the weekend was more applicable to my current design work (Susannah)--the lighting of a translucent drop. I have to say right now that I am completely amazed at the things Mark showed us during that seminar. I had no idea that some of the effects he demonstrated were possible, or that a lighting designer needed to put so much thought into the drop. I assumed that it was just like a regular drop, except from behind mostly. I couldn't have been more wrong. Adding specials that bounce in specific places, using a skrim, knowing what top light does well and doesn't do well---these are all things that I am trying to squeeze into my already full plot, simply because after seeing Mark light that drop this weekend, I am keenly aware of what incredible potential the drop in Susannah has.



the difference here is simply a matter of shooting something like a src4 into the bounce or RP and controlling where it lands. SO much more control that just a cyc light! plus, add templates to the front.

No comments:

Post a Comment